- For general information on sheltering in parks including contact details and weekly updates visit the “sheltering in parks” homepage.
- For more information on sheltering in Central Park and 940 Caledonia visit here.
Tiny Home Village: Community Advisory Committee
To support a successful integration into the community, Our Place and the Greater Victoria Coalition to End Homelessness have established a Community Advisory Committee, or a CAC. This group will meet monthly. The goal of the CAC is to provide the community with updates from the Tiny Homes Village and address issues or concerns.
Please send topics for discussion, concerns/accolades/solutions to:
- BUSINESS – Christian Stewart, HarbourCats: firstname.lastname@example.org
- NOT FOR PROFIT – Tracy Ryan, Silver Threads: email@example.com
- RESIDENTS – Jennie Greven: firstname.lastname@example.org or Charles Joerin: email@example.com
- NPNA – Sarah Murray, Executive Director: firstname.lastname@example.org
Meeting agendas and meeting notes will be posted on this webpage, as well as on the “agendas and minutes” page of our website.
Sign up on the Greater Victoria Coalition to End Homelessness website to join the Caledonia Tiny Homes Village email list to receive community updates and upcoming meeting dates.
|Tiny Homes Village: Community Advisory Committee Meetings|
|Meeting date||Agenda||Meeting notes|
|Tuesday May 25th, 2021 at 6-7:30pm||AgendaTerms of Reference||Meeting notes here|
|Wednesday, June 23, 2021 at 5-6:30pm||Agenda||Meeting notes here|
|Tuesday, July 27, 2021 at 5-6:30pm||Agenda||Meeting notes here|
|Tuesday, August 24, 2021 at 5-6:30pm||Meeting notes here|
|Tuesday, September 28, 2021 at 5-6:30pm||Meeting notes here|
|Tuesday, October 26, 2021 at 5-6:30pm||Meeting notes here|
|Tuesday, November 23, 2021 at 5-6:30pm||Meeting notes here|
“Making Room: A Transitional Tiny Home Community” @ Royal Athletic Park parking lot, 940 Caledonia
- Info sheet: January 8, 2021: Information sheet from City of Victoria re: “Making Room: A Transitional Tiny Home Community” @ 940 Caledonia
On January 14th, 2021, Mayor Helps and Councillor Loveday brought a motion to Council recommending that 940 Caledonia Avenue, the Royal Athletic Park Parking lot be used as the site for this transitional tiny home community from March 2021 to September 2022. The motion requested Council authorize Aryze Developments to make the temporary use permit application on the City’s behalf (the City is the owner of the property).
You can read the council motion here, or view the entire Jan. 14 Council agenda. The NPNA has made several requests and asked a few questions (so far) to the City and Aryze about the proposed tiny home community at 940 Caledonia.
At the NPNA’s public meeting on Monday, January 11 (see agenda & minutes page) the community had a chance to learn more and ask questions.
Here are some of the requests, questions, and expectations posed by the NPNA about the Tiny Home community:
- Expectations of the City:
- The City, with its design/development partner and operations partner, will design a community with and for the health and wellbeing of residents and neighbours: include at least 2 housed neighbours of Greene or Caledonia and 2 unhoused/prospective residents of North Park on the design team with payment of reasonable honorariums.
- Comply with BC building code
- Provide mechanical heating, cooling and ventilation to all units that are quiet and powered by clean energy.
- Minimize the impacts of the proposed tiny home community on existing service providers, especially Anawim House, which is a sober living community directly across the street (i.e. offer adequate and free on-site showers and laundry so as to minimize the use of Anawim’s services).
- The City, with its partners in design/development, construction, operations and all other service providers, will be good neighbours:
- Will immediately establish a good neighbour agreement and working group made up of designated staff from the City, the operator, developer, and any other service providers involved, and that this group works efficiently to communicate and address concerns brought forth by the community, and provide regular updates. And that this working group meets regularly the entire time that the tiny home community is at 940 Caledonia. That the working group includes housed and unhoused residents of North Park too, and that these positions be recognized through honorariums.
- Commit to proactively seeking input and regularly updating the entire North Park community on this project throughout design and construction as well as ongoing operation.
- As land owner, will designate one point person from the city to which the NPNA, and North Park residents and businesses, can direct questions and concerns regarding the construction and ongoing operation of this
- The city will permanently remove Central Park from the parks where sheltering is permitted. We have received confirmation that staff are already moving forward with this, and understand this amendment to the “sheltering in parks bylaw’ is to be brought forward to council for approval on January, 21, 2021
- For questions regarding the technical aspects of the proposed community, please contact Jared James at email@example.com
- For questions about the process and opportunity for public input, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- January 8, 2021: Global News, Victoria project looks to turn shipping containers into tiny homes for the homeless
- January 9, 2021: Times Colonist, Royal Athletic Park parking lot could house shipping-container village for homeless
- January 9, 2021: CTV, Victoria mayor calls for ‘tiny homes’ for homeless at Royal Athletic Park
February 9, 2021: NPNA Comments on TUP No. 00017 and DP Application No. 00591 / 940 Caledonia Ave (See also: February 9 + January 20 feedback included in March 4, 2021 council agenda package)
- including notice of a community meeting on Tuesday, April 13 at 5pm. Sign up here to receive updates about the public meeting and Tiny Home Village.
Transitional Tiny Home Village: Next Community Meeting May 11, 2021
There will be a second community meeting on Tuesday, May 11 which will include an update on first week of operations, introduction of Community Advisory Committee representatives. Please make sure to sign up here to receive meeting links and updates: www.victoriahomelessness.ca/tinyhomes.
Tiny Home Village: Community Advisory Committee
Application deadline: April 27, 2021
During the April 13 meeting we learned more about the Community Advisory Committee (CAC) that will be established to keep the entire community updated and involved in this innovative project. The CAC will be led by Our Place and the Greater Victoria Coalition to End Homelessness with the goal of supporting the successful integration of the village into the community. It will consist of representatives from the neighbourhood and organizations supporting the operation of the Tiny Homes Village. It will meet regularly to discuss any operational issues and opportunities for enhancing the success of the project.
There are five spots on this committee for community members! If this sounds interesting to you, please take a moment to look at the Tiny Homes Village CAC Terms of Reference, and submit a brief, one page application by April 27, 2021.
How to apply to the Community Advisory Committee (CAC):
- Application deadline: 11:59pm, April 27, 2021
- Committee Member Notification: May 3, 2021