North Park’s updated Local Area Plan
The City of Victoria is currently engaging with the community on an updated local area plan for North Park, Fernwood, and Hillside-Quadra. Once finalized, these plans and design guidelines will help inform updates to zoning and our Official Community Plan.
The purpose of neighbourhood planning is to guide growth for more sustainable and inclusive communities over the next 10 to 20 years.
North Park’s last Local Area Plan was completed in 1996!
For the most up to date information about the local area plan, visit www.engage.victoria.ca
Local Area Plan process
Early engagement with all three neighbourhoods began in 2020.
- In the spring of 2020 residents were asked for input on issues, opportunities and big ideas about the future of their neighbourhood. Read the Engagement Summary here.
- The second stage of engagement focused on draft directions and took place between December 2020 and March 2021. You can read the Stage Two Engagement Summary here.
- The third stage of engagement ended on January 3, 2022.
Directions for North Park’s local area plan:
While each neighbourhood has its own distinct traits and individual priorities, we heard throughout engagement the desire for 15-minute communities. This means a wider range of housing options, both on and off transit corridors, walkable urban villages with local businesses, and public spaces that bring people together. We also heard the desire for planning that supports equitable, diverse and inclusive communities.
North Park Highlights include:
- View the draft recommendations here
- Ideas for a new public plaza in North Park Village and more green space.
- Options for the village to grow while keeping spaces for small and local-serving shops.
- New housing choices for people of different incomes along green and leafy streets.
- Amenities like a new community centre.
- Opportunities for maker-spaces, artisans and creative businesses.