LAND USE COMMITTEE
Local Area Plan (LAP) – update process
- LAP update process explained here.
- Here is the terms of reference doc for the $10,000 pre-LAP funding.
- Here is the terms of reference doc for the LAP working group.
The Land Use Committee (LUC) is an important part of the development application process. One of the main roles of the LUC is to facilitate dialogue between applicants and the community in order to identify and resolve issues (both positive and negative) regarding land use applications.
The procedure for processing Rezoning Applications require that applicants attend a pre-meeting with the LUC to initiate the application process, and then attend a community/public meeting hosted by the LUC in order to hear feedback from the community on the proposed development. Applicants must complete and present this checklist at the community meeting.
Development Variance Permits are referred to LUCs for review within a 30-day period.
The Land Use Committee also:
- Acts as a resource to developers who want to learn about the neighbourhood’s interpretation of Official Community Plan policies and whether development applications fit with the spirit and intent of the Neighbourhood Plan; and,
- Liaises with the City, the Board, and the neighbourhood about land use policy.
The LUC meets on an as-needed basis – depending on what rezoning applications or development variance permits are in process. Contact the LUC Chair to be placed on a meeting agenda, or if you are interested in attending an LUC meeting.
For more information about the North Park Neighbourhood Association LUC or for the next scheduled meeting, contact the LUC Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tracking Development Applications
To track current development applications in North Park, check out the City of Victoria’s development tracker.
Here are some letters from the NPNA CALUC about specific development proposals:
- Wellburns Development (1050-1058 Pandora Avenue, 1508-1518 Cook)
- SOLID Temporary Use (3 years) Permit for 1066 North Park St/1802-06 Cook St. for Health Service
Here are some interesting City links:
- New off-street parking bylaw for bikes and cars
- The Development Tracker lets you stay up on development proposals, and can be filtered by address or neighbourhood
- Official Community Plan documents, including design guidelines (bottom of page), land use designations (definitions) and land use designations/directions for North Park.
- A big chunk of our neighbourhood also falls under the Downtown Core Area Plan.
For more information on how LUCs operate, please consult the following City of Victoria Documents:
- CALUC meeting preamble
- Community Association Land Use Committee Terms of Reference
- CALUC meeting minutes template
- Community Association Land Use Committee Procedures for Processing Applications
- Role of Developer, Council and Staff in Community Association Land Use Committee Processes.
- Principles and Guidelines for Involving CALUCs in Broader Project and Policy Initiatives
Agenda and Minutes
January 16, 2020 – Solid Outreach Society – temporary use permit. Here is the community notice. See the updated agenda here. January 16, 2020 Public Meeting Minutes, and here is the CALUC letter to Mayor and Council.
May 15, 2019 – BlueSky (Bosa) – rezoning to allow Air Space Parcel configuration – Here are the minutes.
March 20, 2019 – Wellburns redevelopment proposal – Here are the minutes.
December 13, 2018 – Redevelopment proposal for 2220 Cook (at corner of Queens Ave). Here are the minutes.
August 2, 2018 – Community Meeting Report – Proposed redevelopment 919 & 923 Caledonia
August 2, 2018 – Community Meeting Report – Proposed Redevelopment 1050 Pandora & 1518 Cook
November 28, 2018 – City-wide Land Use Committee Mtg minutes
March 26, 2018 – Community Meeting report – proposed redevelopment 945 Pembroke