LAND USE COMMITTEE
Local Area Plan (LAP) – update process
The City is currently working with the community to create Village and Corridor Plans for North Park, Hillside-Quadra and Fernwood.
This is a process about three urban villages, the housing around them and the connections between them. It explores ways in which we can meet our housing, mobility, and public space needs, incrementally over time.
If you’d like to see some of the concepts you can take a virtual tour:
- Fernwood Virtual Tour Video(External link)
- North Park Virtual Tour Video(External link)
- Hillside-Quadra Virtual Tour Video(External link)
The concepts and directions that come out of this process may depend on redevelopment or City funding and budgeting or may be realized through the active work of engaged community members.
- Head to Engage Victoria for updates on the Local Area Plan
- See the project website here.
- LAP update process explained here.
- Here is the terms of reference doc for the $10,000 pre-LAP funding.
- Here is the terms of reference doc for the LAP working group.
The Land Use Committee (LUC) is an important part of the development application process. One of the main roles of the LUC is to facilitate dialogue between applicants and the community in order to identify and resolve issues (both positive and negative) regarding land use applications.
The procedure for processing Rezoning Applications require that applicants attend a pre-meeting with the LUC to initiate the application process, and then attend a community/public meeting hosted by the LUC in order to hear feedback from the community on the proposed development. Applicants must complete and present this checklist at the community meeting.
Development Variance Permits are referred to LUCs for review within a 30-day period.
The Land Use Committee also:
- Acts as a resource to developers who want to learn about the neighbourhood’s interpretation of Official Community Plan policies and whether development applications fit with the spirit and intent of the Neighbourhood Plan; and,
- Liaises with the City, the Board, and the neighbourhood about land use policy.
Land Use Committee Members
Are you interested in land use issues in North Park? Consider joining the Community Association Land Use Committee (CALUC) to stay up to date with developments happening in the neighbourhood.
CALUC members may expect to help coordinate and attend neighbourhood meetings with developers/proponents and provide feedback on proposed developments. You can also expect to work with the City and other local residents on community land use plans and initiatives.
Other roles/activities are dependent on members’ interests, skills, and time commitment.
We welcome a wide range of interests and skills on the land use committee. You do not need to have prior experience or knowledge of land use matters to get involved! Contact Eleni Gibson, Land Use Planning Advisor at email@example.com if you would like to know more, or join the CALUC.
The Land Use Committee meets on a monthly basis. Contact the Land Use Committee Chair to be placed on a meeting agenda, or if you are interested in attending an LUC meeting.
For more information about the North Park Neighbourhood Association LUC or for the next scheduled meeting, contact the LUC Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org and/or Eleni Gibson, Land Use Planning Advisor at email@example.com
Tracking Development Applications
To track current development applications in North Park, check out the City of Victoria’s development tracker.
Here are some letters from the NPNA CALUC about specific development proposals:
- February 9, 2021: NPNA Comments on TUP No. 00017 and DP Application No. 00591 / 940 Caledonia Ave (See also: February 9 + January 20 feedback included in March 4, 2021 council agenda package)
- December 10, 2020: Wellburns Development (1050-1058 Pandora Avenue, 1508-1518 Cook)
- SOLID Temporary Use (3 years) Permit for 1066 North Park St/1802-06 Cook St. for Health Service
Information on specific developments
- 953-959 Balmoral: BC Housing is working with the City of Victoria, and the Victoria Cool Aid Society (Cool Aid), on a plan to build approximately 60 new permanent homes with support services for people who are marginalized and experiencing homelessness Victoria. BC Housing has purchased 953 Balmoral Road, and Cool Aid owns 959 Balmoral Road. Cool Aid would operate the new building.
- mailer sent to nearby residents on March 24, 2021
- information sheet on “positive flow”
- website dedicated to property
- Attend a “Neighbourhood Dialogue” hosted by BC Housing about the 953/959 Balmoral Rd Supportive Housing on May 10 at 5:30pm, or May 11 at 2:30pm. See all BC Housing neighbourhood dialogues about supportive housing projects on Eventbrite.
- 940 Caledonia: Transitional Tiny Home Community
- website where you can learn more and sign up to receive updates
Here are some interesting City links:
- New off-street parking bylaw for bikes and cars
- The Development Tracker lets you stay up on development proposals, and can be filtered by address or neighbourhood
- Official Community Plan documents, including design guidelines (bottom of page), land use designations (definitions) and land use designations/directions for North Park.
- A big chunk of our neighbourhood also falls under the Downtown Core Area Plan.
For more information on how LUCs operate, please consult the following City of Victoria Documents:
- CALUC meeting preamble
- Community Association Land Use Committee Terms of Reference
- CALUC meeting minutes template
- Community Association Land Use Committee Procedures for Processing Applications
- Role of Developer, Council and Staff in Community Association Land Use Committee Processes.
- Principles and Guidelines for Involving CALUCs in Broader Project and Policy Initiatives
Agenda and Minutes
January 16, 2020 – Solid Outreach Society – temporary use permit. Here is the community notice. See the updated agenda here. January 16, 2020 Public Meeting Minutes, and here is the CALUC letter to Mayor and Council.
May 15, 2019 – BlueSky (Bosa) – rezoning to allow Air Space Parcel configuration – Here are the minutes.
March 20, 2019 – Wellburns redevelopment proposal – Here are the minutes.
December 13, 2018 – Redevelopment proposal for 2220 Cook (at corner of Queens Ave). Here are the minutes.
August 2, 2018 – Community Meeting Report – Proposed redevelopment 919 & 923 Caledonia
August 2, 2018 – Community Meeting Report – Proposed Redevelopment 1050 Pandora & 1518 Cook
November 28, 2018 – City-wide Land Use Committee Mtg minutes
March 26, 2018 – Community Meeting report – proposed redevelopment 945 Pembroke
December 2020 – Planning for Equity: Community Benefit Agreements and Community Land Trusts as tools for equity, diversity, and inclusion in the North Park neighbourhood by Queen’s University School of Urban and Regional Planning
Meeting and date
Monday, May 10, 2021: 6:30-8:30pm, Zoom
Watch the recording of the meeting here